Pictured right: EISA DRC meets with His Excellency Adolphe Muzito, Prime Minister of the DRC, to brief him on EISA's work on governance and civil society capacity issues as well as our support for the forthcoming elections.
EISA has been implementing a number of activities as part of the project Deepening Democracy, Peace & Governance in Post-Election DRC which aims to:
- Support the process leading to the holding of delivery of free, fair and peaceful local government elections through technical assistance to:
- the Commission Electoral Indépendante (CEI)
- political parties and
- civil society organisations.
- Strengthen institutional capacity of Parliament, provincial legislatures, local councils, political parties, civil society organisations, the CENI and other specialist agencies in the democracy and governance fields in order for them to deliver on their respective mandates.
- Facilitate interaction between citizens and representatives in the national and provincial parliaments and local government councils in order to enhance participatory democracy at all levels.
- Develop mechanisms for the prevention, management and peaceful resolution of social conflict for the consolidation of peace at grassroots level.
- In partnership with the electoral commission of the DRC, EISA trained conflict mediators and put in place conflict mediation systems in both urban and rural areas throughout the vast country during the elections. The success of the training can be attributed to the successful implementation of the EISA model of training and conflict management, which it has utilised to suppport the peaceful conduct of electoral processes in various coountries in the region.
- EISA provided technical support in election adminstration to the electoral commission of the DRC
- Political party agents were trained in observation and monitoring in preparation for the elections
- Parties and candidates were supported by EISA in the drawing up of a Code of Conduct
- For both the Constitutional Referendum of 2005 and the historic elections of 2006, EISA deployed international election observer missions and produced reports of its findings.